Tuesday, January 24, 2006

It's emo time

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree

The new darlings of the Emo scene! Knowing no more than the singles Dance, Dance and Sugar, We're Going Down I was briefly surprised by quite how heavy the album is. Even by how heavy those songs are when played at CD quality and pumped at a decent volume. It was a pleasant surprise that my ear drums experienced.

Its lyricism is a joy to my heart. I'm am continually amused by the song titles, my current favourite being the incredibley witty, Champagne For My Real Friends, Real Pain For My Sham Friends, closely followed by, I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me. Genius I tell you. Genius. I'd call it, 'genius in a little box,' but there's nothing little about it. It doesn't actually sound especially big, but it has an interesting sense of scope that makes it somehow sound bigger than it is.

I feel that for what it is this is high praise indeed.

It's a lesson in euphoric pop-punk falling like honey from the lips of an orphaned emo child whose eyeliner is smeared messily across their left cheek. (It's important it's the left one, don't ask me why, just go with it.) It is, however, not actually honeyed. It's melodic and yet as raw as the genre currently seems to have room for. Certainly if you know rawer pop-punk-esque emo I'd love to hear it.

While playing to its own cliches it nonetheless seems both energetic and fresh without actually projecting the naviety and freshfaced-ness that is surprisingly common. Its invictive has the force required to backup its clumsily pretentious lyricism.

Dear light it's fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home